brian beaton award
Developer notes to the user
- Titles should be h4's to keep the site consistent
- If replacing an image make sure it has the same width. (Double click to find out size)
- This message will not be shown when published
2018 SUBMISSIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED
In recognition of the valuable contribution made to the screen industry in Western Australia by esteemed producer Brian Beaton, and to honour his memory, the Brian Beaton Award is awarded annually to a filmmaker/s who has a current social impact project that needs further support to reach its full potential. A social impact project is one that has the potential to contribute positively to the community and instigate social change.
The Award is open to current West Australian resident/s of any level of experience who have a factual project in active development, or that has been produced for broadcast, theatrical or online distribution, including VR and interactive projects. Support is available for development and production, or an outreach campaign to enhance social impact.
The Brian Beaton Award recipient/s will be announced at the 2018 Screenwest Industry Celebration on 18 July 2018, being held as part of Revelation Perth International Film Festival.
There are two components to the award.
1. This year, the total grant available will be up to $12,250 comprised of:
- A $5,000 contribution from the 2017 Australian International Documentary Conference (AIDC). Brian Beaton was posthumously awarded the annual Stanley Hawes award at the opening of the 2017 AIDC. This award recognises those who have made an outstanding contribution to the Australian documentary sector.
- A Screenwest contribution of $5,000.
- Private donations of $2,250 that were received towards the Brian Beaton Award through the now inoperative Film and Television Institute (FTI) Philanthropy Program.
2. In kind support from the WA screen industry:
- The successful recipient will have access to tailored mentoring from up to three leading Western Australian industry professionals, (many of whom were colleagues of Brian Beaton and have offered their services for this purpose).
The Revelation Perth international Film Festival will work with the award winner or winners to help facilitate mentoring opportunities specific to the needs of the project.
An applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria to be competitively assessed through this program.
The applicant/s must:
- Meet the general eligibility criteria as detailed in the Screenwest Terms of Trade.
- Be a Western Australian resident.
- Must not be a fulltime student.
Funding will be provided as a grant. If you are successful, the Revelation Perth International Film Festival will enter into a written grant agreement with you, specifying the terms of the funding and what you will need to deliver to receive payments.
How to Apply
Applicants are to submit the following documents.
- A logline and a detailed description or treatment of the project you are submitting (maximum 2 pages). If there is footage available of the project, please also provide a link to the work.
- A clear proposal that includes (maximum 3 pages):
- Overview of the current status of the project and how you believe your project will create positive social impact.
- Proposed market and audience.
- Activities to be undertaken to assist the project and its social impact goals.
- A budget that outlines how the funding will be spent.
- An overview of the areas you would like to receive mentoring for this project.
- How winning the Brian Beaton Award would assist your career.
- Your curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages) and summary of other key team members
- An example or showreel of the filmmakers’ work (if available).
Applications will be assessed by a panel of industry professionals and a Screenwest Management representative against the following criteria:
- The quality of the project and its potential to create positive social impact.
- Potential benefits to the Western Australian community and the successful applicant.
Closing & Relevant Dates
- All applications materials must be submitted by 5:00pm WST on Monday 2 July 2018.
- Winner announced 18 July at Rev as part of ScreenWest Industry Celebration.
2018 SUBMISSIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED
Ph: 0448 007 233
Proudly presented by